Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Outstanding Nurse-Wendy Jones

We were so happy last week to get a call letting us know the nurse who assisted during Drew's delivery had been selected as a runner-up for Central Mississippi’s 2010 Outstanding Nurse. We nominated Wendy earlier this year as part of the Nurses Making a Difference campaign and we were so happy she was recognized. They did a segment on WLBT news and have it posted on the WLBT website.
Those of you who came to the hospital may remember Wendy. She was amazing and we could not have been happier with all our care at St. Dominic's. It is a great place to have a baby. Below is our entry and Wendy's picture. (I told Kevin I would have worked on my nomination a little longer if I had known it was going to be posted on the website!)
WLBT - Nurses Making a Difference
2010 Nomination for Wendy Jones
In June of last year I was sent to the hospital following my 36 week pre-natal check-up. My blood pressure was rising fast and I was 3 weeks early. This was our first child and my husband and I were terrified. It had been an uneventful pregnancy and we had no reason to think things would change so rapidly. I didn't have a bag packed and all of my family who are out of state weren't close by to be with me.
After a night of observation my doctor decided to induce in the wee hours of the next morning. Wendi showed up that morning about the time the labor started. The day progressed as did the labor pains. I was moving slow. Wendi was there to hold my hand and re-assure my husband and me that everything was going to be ok. I had drugs to calm my nerves, luckily my husband had Wendi. At 6:00 p.m. there was still no change. I have to say I don’t remember much about that afternoon, but I do recall the constant care and encouragement from Wendi. Shift-change time came and there was still no baby. As I lay on the bed scared of what was happening with my blood pressure increasing and the baby’s heart rate changing, Wendi stepped out and made a call. Without anyone asking and without anyone knowing Wendi made arrangements for someone else to take care of her children that night so she could stay with us. She had been there for a 12 hour shift that had been quite stressful. I am sure staying on the job was not what she wanted to do.
At 7:30 p.m. I headed to the delivery room for an emergency C-section. My new duty nurse by my side and Wendi was not far behind with my husband and the camera. Wendi didn’t have to stay that night and probably hasn’t thought twice about it since she did, but she did and it made all the difference in our lives. A small gesture that meant so much.
Submitted by Kevin & Mary Margaret Gay

1 comment:

  1. I have chills. that is so awesome.
    I am so glad I chose St. D also.
    they were amazing. isn't it a gift from God that she probably did the simplest thing and probably didn't know what an impact it was on you.

    ReplyDelete