No doubt the Lord was at work when the church Advent book arrived in our mailbox this week.
Pay attention.
Be astonished.
Tell about it.
Be astonished.
Tell about it.
The Advent season is about paying attention and I haven't been very good at that lately when it comes to capturing family memories and tracking our milestones. Truth is I have been so busy 'being astonished' by our wonderful children, my fabulous husband and our amazing life I haven't had time to 'tell about it.' So here I sit on December 3rd with a blog that hasn't been updated in nearly two months. I contemplated backdating a post (which I have been known to do in the past), but decided I should fess up. So here is one very long blog post to get us through October and then I will do my best to share November in the coming days. Life is good and we are so grateful.
Owen is growing fast and learning new things - like sleeping in a bed! We decided it was time and other than a few minor falls off the bed he is doing pretty good.
We spent a fun afternoon at the fair. Drew still associates the fair with the annual fair (flu) shot. He was excited this year to learn the doctor didn't have the shipment in yet. The rides were fun, but with two boys and a former FFA member husband the animal barns are where the real excitement can be found.
And this my friends is a Chirpy Chick. The class mascot for Drew's class and for one long weekend our responsibility. Just damn glad it was a stuffed chick and not a live animal!
Fall In Arkansas
We had a great trip to Arkansas to watch the Hogs play the Georgia Bulldogs in Little Rock. I have wonderful memories of watching the Hogs at War Memorial so I was excited to take Drew. Surely this would convince him to he a Razorback. When my mom bought the tickets to the game she asked Kevin if he really wanted to sit with us. Little did we know the joke would be on us. It has been a fun year of football. We get the best of all worlds getting to cheer on GA, AR as well as the winning Mississippi teams! Being from Mississippi this year has been pretty exciting considering both football teams spent a good part of the season undefeated. Nice that people outside our state now associate us with winning something!
Before heading to the game we spent the morning with Jane and finally got meet sweet Taylor! She is perfect! So glad to finally have a girl in the mix with all these boys.
And then the game...
When we arrived at the hotel on Friday night the desk clerk asked if we were "with the team." I assumed "the team" meant the Hogs and that she was asking if we were here for the game. The next morning as we headed down for breakfast Drew and I hopped on the elevator with two college-age young men. Both were listening to music and wearing black track suits. I thought it was odd that they didn't have on Razorback shirts. Surely they were here for the game. One of them spoke to Drew and I asked "yall here for the game." Both looked at me suspiciously and quietly replied. "Yes, ma'am." After a few seconds one told me "we are the Georgia Bulldogs." I think they were stunned when the five year old in front of them turned around and yelled "I'm a Georgia Bulldog, too!" They both were so nice and talked to Drew. They told us they were headed to team meetings, but invited Drew down at noon to watch them board the buses. Let me say at this point my attempt to raise a Arkansas Razorback was out the window. My child pretty much signed his letter of intent on the elevator - and it only got worse! After breakfast at Jane's we headed back to the hotel and after a long wait greeted the team as they left for the game. You can tell from the pics that I had a 40 year old Georgia Bulldog who was just as excited! These guys and their coaches couldn't have been more gracious. They really are class acts off the field.
Special thanks go to Gigi and Papa who let Owen greet the team and then took him to the pumpkin patch so we could enjoy the game. He hasn't stopped talking about the pig races! Apparently Tammy Swinette was quite a runner.
One last attempt to convince by Dalton and I to convince Drew that being a Razorback is pretty awesome! He told me the Hog didn't smell good. #parentingfail #atleastGAisintheSEC
Had a blast with Granny, Wiggy, Pam and Dalton at the game! Not sure why I didn't get more pics, but at least a few of the pre-game festivities! Luckily Aunt Pam got some good ones to share.
And then, as if the meet-and-greet with the team before the game wasn't enough...during the 3rd quarter the Dogs took the lead and Drew was ready for dinner. We left Kevin and the rest of my family in the Razorback section and headed down for pizza. As Drew sat on the ground eating his pizza the two Georgia state patrolman who escort coach Richt recognized him from the hotel. They told him to finish up and come with them. The took him down field-side and introduced him to the cheerleaders and mascot. As soon as his Dad saw where we were he made a beeline to "help." We spent the last quarter of the game in the front row of the Georgia section. Closer than Kevin or I have ever been to an SEC game! Unfortunately the Dogs won, but Drew and his Daddy were ecstatic. Each player came by and thanked us for coming. Then John Theus who is now my child's (and high on my list too) favorite player gave Drew his game glove! What a great guy! One of those times I wish I could reach out to his parents and say "good job, you raised a good kid." Win or loose he is really good. As you can see from the pictures it was a once in a lifetime experience! The problem now is convincing a 5 year old that it was once in a lifetime and that this will not be what happens at every other game!


Sunday morning we packed up to head home and stopped in Pine Bluff for church at Lakeside and lunch with Diane Ayres. It was so wonderful to sit in the same pew with the whole family. It has likely been 20 years since that happened! So good to be back in the place that was so formative in our lives. Blessed beyond words to have been a member at Lakeside United Methodist.

No comments:
Post a Comment