Wednesday, August 20, 2014

It's Time for School

I don't know how it happened and I sure don't like it, but we now have a 5 year old who is ready to start his next life adventure.  After much research, school tours, soul-searching and prayer we finally decided on schools.  Beginning August 11th Drew is an official Jackson Academy (JA) Raider.  He was lucky enough to get to spend some time at the school this summer, so official first day of school wasn't a shock.  We were ecstatic to find out his best summer buddy, Henson, would be in his class.  His K4 teacher, Suzanne Murray, has a wonderful reputation among my parent friends. Everyone who I have talked to has told me the Chirpy Chick class is great!
The kicked off the year with a parents meet and greet and then had a meet the teacher tea party the Friday before the first day of school.  I really thought I would be fine with this, especially since he officially left Galloway in June and had spent so much time at JA this summer.  Not so much.  All was good until I pulled up for drop off and the sign said "Welcome Class of 2028!"  What?!?!?  I started crying and it was all I could to do to let him get out of the car.  He did promptly ask me to put on my sunglasses so no one would see me crying.  Thank goodness I had my "baby" in the backseat.  Owen and I discussed the rest of the way to school how he would always be my baby.  I'm not sure he understood.  He just kept saying "mommy cry?"  Lucky for us Drew had no hesitations.  His first week at school has been wonderful.  Thanks to Mrs. Murray I have gotten lots of updates and pictures and this mommy has no worries.  JA has been a great fit for Drew.  
Drew Gay and Henson Tyler
JA Meet the Teacher Tea Party


Mrs. Murray

Mrs. Youngblood

This is getting way to real!









Getting his new iPod Touch - my how things have changed since I was in PK4! 


Other than back to school we are enjoying being back in the routine.  As much as I love summer vacations I really love daily life around our house.  Drew got new pirate ships from our friend across the street headed to college which have been a never ending source of entertainment.  But the best summer entertainment has been the large hole in the backyard left following the removal of a dead tree.  Had we known how much fun a large hole can provide two boys we would have dug up the whole backyard a long time ago!  What was a small hole is now as big as Owen. They regularly dress in their "work clothes" and take every digger, shovel and bucket they can find and "go to work."  Love, love, love!




Two other fun summer mentions...
We had a wonderful visit from the Rudolphs in July.  Avery came to take part in Ballet Magnificant camp in Jackson.  (Yes, surprisingly, Jackson is home to several ballet companies!)  The boys really enjoyed the visit and had so much fun playing with Avery.  Poor Avery was run in a million different directions, but she did great.  Sue Rudolph was smiling in heaven watching!



And, last but not least, I cannot believe our sweet Rachel is old enough to babysit our kids!  When Kevin and I met Rachel she was Owen's age.  Rachel is like a big sister to our boys and they loved getting to spend a few days with her.  Drew played 18 holes of disc golf with her one day!  This past Sunday she sang in church and did a GREAT job.  Hard to believe such a big voice can come out of a little body.  We love you Rachel!


No comments:

Post a Comment