Thursday, September 26, 2013

It's Fall Yall!



It's Fall!!!  My most favorite time of the year.  Football anxiety hits it peak on Saturday afternoon and I have boys running around the house in camo and boots.  This is one of the those normal days in Mississippi where the temperatures are still warm, but you can feel the cool air headed our way.  It is likely still weeks away, but the Halloween candy at Kroger is a sure sign its coming.  Drew and Owen got Halloween costumes in the mail a week or so ago. (No spoilers here!)  I'm not sure Drew's costume is going to make it two months.  He has already worn it in well.  As usual life is busy.  Last we checked we have two weekends off before Thanksgiving.  How is that even possible?!?!  A few weddings, fall soccer, some parties and you don't have a free Saturday in sight.  I think it is part of what I love about the fall.  A lot of fun and fellowship. 
Had a great visit with Granny and Dalton over Labor Day weekend while Drew and Kevin headed to the Delta to hunt.  Big news in the Ratliff family...I am going to be an Aunt again!!!  Jane and Kevin have a baby on the way this spring.  So much fun to have cousins near the same age.  New baby Boatright and Owen will be a little over a year apart!! 









Hunting in the Delta















Nana and Grandaddy made a quick stop on their way to a family reunion this weekend.  In fact so short that I didn't get any pictures.  Nana spent most of her time "playing farm" on the floor in Drew's room.  Drew was so excited to have them pick him up at school.  I think Owen is still a little confused how the people on Skype end up at our house.

Last, but not least, on September 18th we lost our sweet dog Georgia.  Georgia has been part of our lives since Kevin and I were in our first year of law school.  I told Kevin he didn't need a dog and he assured me he did.  If I remember correctly the conversation went something like this -
Tuesday afternoon in the law school library - 
Kevin:  I think I am going to get a dog.
MM:  You don't need a dog.  You live in a 300 sq. ft apartment with no yard.
Kevin:  I think I am going to get a dog.
MM:  Seriously, you don't have room for a dog and they cost money.
Kevin:  I think I am going to get a dog this week.
MM:  What are you going to do with the dog when you go out of town?
Kevin:  Where would I go.  Do you like springer spaniels?
MM:  A dog is a bad idea.
Two days later - afternoon
Kevin: I got a dog. Isn't she cute.
MM: LOVE her. Glad she is yours though. I sure don't need one more thing to think about.
Two days later - night
Kevin:  I just got an awesome invite to go on a duck hunt.  Can you take care of this puppy for a few days?
MM:  Are you kidding me?
The rest is history.  Did I mention we weren't even dating at the time!!  Little did we know that 14 years, 11 years of law practice, several houses and two kids later we would say our sweet goodbyes to our loving dog.  She was way better than we ever deserved and the best preparation for parenthood we had.  She didn't like children until we had two of our own and then loved them both unconditionally.  She slept outside Drew's window for 4 years.  Drew was as devastated as we were and is still trying to understand it all.  When we told him he cried, but after thinking for a while he told me not to worry.  Georgia had a little boy to play with in heaven.  "You know mom, Owen was born in November and Jesus was born in December, so that is about the same age."  He told me on the way home this week he saw God in the clouds playing with Georgia.  Such sweet memories.

1 comment:

  1. Love catching up with y'all on the blog! I especially love the story about Georgia, that's so you and Kevin!! He was a sweet dog!

    ReplyDelete