Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Working Moms & Growing Boys

Life at the Gay house is returning to the more familiar stride.  Owen is loving daycare and Drew is loving having him close by.  I resumed some travel and I am finding it much harder these days, but it is amazing to have a husband who can do it all.  He really turns what could be a challenging time at home with two kids into an opportunity to bond with our boys.  It is amazing to know our boys have such a strong connection to their father. 
 
Every time I travel I get same statements/questions.  Funny thing is women are usually the worst about judging.  We really are hard on each other. 
So once and for all here are my answers/responses. 
Please bear with me as I vent for a moment!
1. WOW, you leave your husband home with both kids. 
Yes, I DO!  He is a wonderful dad and our boys are learning both parents are capable of caring for them.  And on top of that...he is a lawyer too.  I know, I am very lucky.  I thank God every day!
2.  It must be hard to leave your babies. 
(Generally this is accompanied by a very sad look and head tilt.)
 It is, thank you for reminding me AGAIN.  I love my children and truly believe that by travelling for work I give them opportunities they wouldn't otherwise have and am able to spend more quality time with them.  Don't get my wrong I would love to be independently wealthy and not work for the next 18 years, but that isn't the real world for anyone.  I learned to work hard from my parents and hope my boys learn the same.
3.  Your job is really demanding. 
REALLY?!? These are the same partners who hosted my wedding and baby showers, let me take off to have babies, support me as a parent, allow me to work my schedule around parenting and family and who are some pretty great role models as parents to boot.  Just because I have responsibilities doesn't mean I work at a bad place, in fact it is just the opposite.
 
So next time you ask a working mom a question pause and ask if you are being judgmental.  My mom, my mother in law and most of the women in my life worked very hard while raising children and I think we all turned out pretty good.
 
Now on to the good stuff...
Life is good and both boys continue to grow and change.  I think I am as amazed with Drew's changes as I am with Owen.  It really is more fun every day.  Owen is sleeping 10-11 hours and already has a top tooth peeking through.  Drew had his first tooth in at 5 months, so Owen seems to be following the same schedule.  He is smiling and laughing a lot.  He loves his socks off and likes a blanket when he sleeps.  He is really getting his own personality.  I can't believe he will be 4 months in just a couple of weeks.

This is what a superhero transformation looks like at our house.  We are loving some superheros these days.  Mostly spiderman, but some Captain America and Batman.

We enjoyed a snow day a few weeks ago and Super Drew ventured out early to check it out.



 Three months old and growing!

Bath time is a happy time at our house.  Generally it involves Owen splashing in the tub while Drew plays us some songs on his guitar.  Never a dull moment.  And the teachers at school swear Owen can read a clock because he knows when its bottle time.  If you were to set this picture in motion you would see a sweet baby turn into a starving child the second you zip up the sleep sack.  He knows bath time means bottle time is coming and he doesn't let you forget!
And, last but not least, our new obsession along with super heros.  LEGOS!  They are all over the house most days, but I love it.  He now asks that we take pictures when he builds a castle.  So much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment