On Friday, November 2, 2012 at 1:34 p.m., with great Joy, we welcomed Owen Griner Gay into the world. He weighed 7lbs 13ozs and was 19 1/2 inches long. He is a happy, healthy baby and we could not be more thankful. I never thought anything would compare to the day we welcomed Drew, but it was just as amazing. Second time around, although all the work, is not nearly the stress of the first baby. I enjoyed every last kick and hiccup until I heard his first cry. God is good! Watching Drew become a big brother only made it sweeter. He truly loves Owen.
| Daddy changing his first diaper |
You can tell from the pictures Kevin was much more comfortable with a newborn this time around. Papa, Gigi and Nana all made the trip to welcome Owen and entertain Drew. Drew had a great time while we were at the hospital with baby Owen! Maybe too good of a time - it has taken me 2 weeks to get rid of all the bad habits Papa taught him!
Once again we were at the hospital with no final name choice. We chose Griner, in honor of Kevin's family friend Donnie Griner, several weeks ago, but the first name was hard. Drew's suggestions continued to be less than helpful - alligator and taco were the suggestions during the last week. Kevin had mentioned Owen back during the summer, but followed his suggestion with "let's call him Owen...cause that's what we are going to be doing for the next 20+ years when we have two boys." As much as I liked the name I couldn't let my child be stuck with that statement every time his dad said the name. However, at the hospital we kept coming back to it and Drew even said he liked it on the way to school that Friday morning. So Kevin relented and agreed to never say make that statement again and we settled on our first choice...Owen.
When picking names I was looking for some "sign" that just said this is the right one. I actually got not one, but two of those this summer. First, I realized Owen would mean his initials would be OGG. As it happens my most favorite teacher from elementary school was Mrs. Ogg. I am sure Mrs. Ogg taught me important 6th grade curriculum, but my most vivid memory is her pregnancy during the year I was in her class. Who would have thought nearly 25 years later I would be having a baby and remembering her! I have stayed connected through friends with Mrs. Ogg and hope she reads this! As for the second sign, I spent the summer in the gym trying to rebuild muscles from the gall bladder surgery. My trainer turned into my therapist and friend. Just so happens her maiden name and daughters middle name is Owen. I thought it was fitting since she had lived through the pains of this pregnancy with me. Kelly and her family met Owen yesterday!
Once again we were at the hospital with no final name choice. We chose Griner, in honor of Kevin's family friend Donnie Griner, several weeks ago, but the first name was hard. Drew's suggestions continued to be less than helpful - alligator and taco were the suggestions during the last week. Kevin had mentioned Owen back during the summer, but followed his suggestion with "let's call him Owen...cause that's what we are going to be doing for the next 20+ years when we have two boys." As much as I liked the name I couldn't let my child be stuck with that statement every time his dad said the name. However, at the hospital we kept coming back to it and Drew even said he liked it on the way to school that Friday morning. So Kevin relented and agreed to never say make that statement again and we settled on our first choice...Owen.
When picking names I was looking for some "sign" that just said this is the right one. I actually got not one, but two of those this summer. First, I realized Owen would mean his initials would be OGG. As it happens my most favorite teacher from elementary school was Mrs. Ogg. I am sure Mrs. Ogg taught me important 6th grade curriculum, but my most vivid memory is her pregnancy during the year I was in her class. Who would have thought nearly 25 years later I would be having a baby and remembering her! I have stayed connected through friends with Mrs. Ogg and hope she reads this! As for the second sign, I spent the summer in the gym trying to rebuild muscles from the gall bladder surgery. My trainer turned into my therapist and friend. Just so happens her maiden name and daughters middle name is Owen. I thought it was fitting since she had lived through the pains of this pregnancy with me. Kelly and her family met Owen yesterday!
| Meeting his brother for the first time |
![]() |
| 1 day old - watching the Georgia Bulldogs play |
Owen is home now and we are both doing great. He is an easy-going baby who likes to eat...a lot. This has been very different from the preemie baby with jaundice we had first go around. Kevin will tell you he is a lot less stressed this time around. It is so much fun to watch him enjoy these "baby days." He is still working, carpooling Drew and doing 5 a.m. (or 4 a.m.) feedings. I could not ask for any more support and help.
Drew doesn't mind sharing Mom and Dad, too much. He does, however, regularly remind us of the things Owen can't do...like bird hunt, ride tractors, eat apples and chicken, etc. We are looking forward to the days ahead with two boys, but trying to enjoy every moment of these baby days - even the 2 a.m. feedings. I know they will be gone before we know it. We are so blessed to have Owen in our lives. Thanks be to God.
| Book time |



No comments:
Post a Comment