Thanksgiving is truly my most favorite holiday of the year. I am sure it has something to do with the fact that we take a full week of vacation together and try to unplug from our busy lives. This year vacation was on hold a few days as Kevin finished trying a case in North Mississippi. In the end the defense verdict made it all worth it, but it is hard to be patient when vacation is waiting around the corner.
We headed to Georgia on Saturday morning and spent the week, as Drew says, "playing farm at Nana's." He couldn't have had any more fun! Riding tractors, chasing his cousins and being the center of Nana and Granddaddy's attention. It was a good time. We enjoyed a great shopping trip to Thomasville, Georgia. If you have never been you should. It is an old Georgia plantation town with beautiful architecture, sprawling plantations, good shopping and of course, amazing food at the never miss George & Louie's. I love it every time we go!
As always Nana provided more good food than we could have eaten. Jace and Jackson provided the entertainment. Granddaddy took care of the sausage balls...well kinda. And Aunt Julie was the paparazzi. It was a fun week with family.
I am on a plane now headed home from a quick trip to NYC. It is beautiful at Christmas, but holy cow too many people! Ready to get home and start some Christmas decorating! Kevin hates it, but I am ready for a tree! I can't get more than one picture to download to the blog so it will be tomorrow before I add any, but I wanted to go ahead ad blog since Aunt Sue made it pretty clear I better stay on top of it! (Aunt Sue, some video for you very soon!)
On a sad note, Mississippi lost one of its great leaders yesterday. My former boss and mentor, Governor Bill Waller, passed away. Governor Waller gave me my first legal job while I was in law school and hired me as a lawyer the day I passed the bar. He was a straight-talking gentleman who loved God, his family and the state of Mississippi. He wouldn't miss a chance to tell you it was "his state" and loved to be called Governor. He told me one day as I left for court "tell the Judge I was Governor when we passed that law and we didn't intend for it to apply to me." The best story I have from my time at Waller and Waller, and there are so many good ones to choose from, is when Gov. Waller proudly announced my bar passage in Clarion Ledger newspaper. I got several calls when the Sunday edition came out telling me to grab a paper. I was baffled to find a quarter page ad not in the normal business announcement pages, but in the Obituaries section. Surely this was a mistake. Nope, Gov. Waller proudly explained "gotta get your monies worth....Obituaries Section is the most read part of the paper." Hard to argue with that logic. I want to publicly express my sympathy to his family and all of his work family who he loved and valued, including my friend Susan Woods. We met while working together at Waller and Waller. Thank you Governor Waller for all you did for me and the people of Mississippi. I am grateful to have spent time learning from you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment