Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter Blessings


Drew this morning...long sleeves for a while, but still pretty cute.
When I blogged last week and said life was crazy busy I had no idea what was coming this week.  Let me start by saying Drew is home and slowly getting better.  Thursday, a week ago, after numerous sinus infections that wouldn't get better with antibiotic treatment Drew went in for "routine" adenoid surgery.  During the surgery our ENT also did a sinus irrigation and took a culture of his sinus' to see if they could put a name to what was causing the infection.  We were told 99% of the time these don't show any growth since kids have been on antibiotics prior to the surgery.  All went well with the surgery and by Saturday Drew was doing well.  (He ate a WHOLE cantaloupe!)  We noticed Sunday evening he was tired, cranky and had a little fever, but they told us to expect a little of that. 

Off to school we went Monday morning.  As I got my coffee at the office Jennifer let me know the ENT AND the pediatrician were personally on the phone....YIKES!  Turns out our little over-achiever was in the 1% and they found infection.  After lots of consulting with all of the doctors and a long wait to get in line for the procedure, Drew was admitted to Blair E. Batson Children's Hospital to have a PICC line inserted.  The line will allow us to give him antibiotics over the next month to fight the infection which is not treatable with normal antibiotics.  It was not fun and we are glad to be home.  Most people who know me will tell you I DON'T DO needles or blood very well.  I will cook for you all day long, but don't ask me to change the dressing on your bloody knee.  Amazing what being a mother will change!!!  After two training sessions with home health and passing the requisite social worker approvals, we were sent home to administer the meds.  Drew has a IV line in his arm.  It broke my heart the first time I saw it, but I have to say modern medicine is amazing.  We are so very lucky to be able to bring him home.  We will give him medications once a day for several weeks and keep our fingers crossed they do the trick. 

At the hospital cruising the halls in the wagon.
For all of you who have called, emailed or tried to catch up with us in the last week...THANK YOU!  We are all three so grateful for your love, prayers and support.  To our sweet church family, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.  We are so very thankful for the many angels in our midst.  And, so many people to thank for all they have done to get our boy better.  Dr. Manisha Sethi and Dr. Kyle Gordon are two of the best doctors we know.  If you need a pediatrician or an ENT in Jackson they are amazing doctors.  To all the nurses on 2C at Batson, thank you for taking good care of all 3 of us.  To all the patients on 2C (most are teenagers) thanks for bearing with us as we made laps in the hall.  I think on Tuesday night we logged 28 laps in the wagon.  Thanks to NUCOR steel who sponsored the wagon that was likely our only saving grace from a very unhappy little boy. 

Drew continues to get better and I am actually a little nervous about the amount of energy he will have when he gets rid of this infection.  If he was operating at partial energy for the last year we are in trouble!  The prayers and love for our little boy have put the events of Holy Week in perspective.  My how God must have wept to watch his son be nailed to a cross.  May you find peace this Easter and love those around you with a new joy for life.  Happy Easter! 

1 comment:

  1. I feel like the worst friend ever. You all have been on my mind lately but life has gotten in the way. I'm so sorry.
    I'm so sorry Drew is having to go thru this. Please let me know if you need anything.
    give him lots of hugs and we'll see you both soon.

    ReplyDelete