Where has the past year gone? It seems like just yesterday we were getting ready to bring home a new baby. I can honestly say I have no real memory of most of last summer. I have few fleeting moments I recall, but it all just went by so fast.
I remember going in for my 37 week check-up and being told it was time. Dr. Gnam tried to calmly explain there was one bed left at the hospital and it was first come, first serve. I didn’t even have a bag packed.
I remember seeing my baby for the first time and feeling love I had never felt before. I also remember praying the medication would wear off before they let Kevin pick a name and sign the birth certificate!
I remember Kevin telling the nurse he thought the baby had a wet diaper. The nurse’s exact words “It’s all you, Dad.” Kevin changed his very first diaper at 2 a.m. after 48 hours of no sleep.
I remember my mom showing Kevin how to bath a newborn. He was scared to death!
I remember about week 6 being home with Drew when we weren’t getting much sleep and feeding every two hours. At that point I didn’t think we were ever going to make it through the first year.
I remember taking him to daycare the first day-I made it out the door before I cried and then two hours was all I could handle before I picked him up. That same day Drew’s new teacher told me she would be happy to babysit if we ever needed her. When I got in the car and called Kevin I don’t think I was very nice when I explained that she had lost her mind if she thought I was going to let her keep my baby all day AND come to my house! Molly is now our regular babysitter!!!
I remember the morning after he slept through the night for the first time…shear panic when we realized we didn’t turn the monitor back on after handling the opossum situation in the backyard at midnight. He has slept through the night ever since.
I remember our first overnight trip away and crying when the plane left the runway… I also remember telling Kevin the next afternoon in Houston when we were delayed by rain that he only thought I was upset when we left…He was in for major drama if I didn’t get home! We made it home that night, thank God.
I asked Kevin some of his memories from the year and he seemed to have alot more than I did. He had alot of trouble picking just a few. One of his most vivid was walking down the hall from the delivery room to the nursery with Drew and seeing his mom and Aunt Pat get off the elevator just in time to see Drew. He remembered the first time I went out of town overnight....he said he never felt more responsibility in his whole life. Drew and Kevin have a wonderful bond...and they favor each other just a little bit, too.
Thank goodness I blogged! It has been a great way to share our fun with family and friends and so much fun to read back through. We made it through the year and it has been the most wonderful year of my life. I thank God everyday for an amazing husband, a happy, healthy baby and friends and family that are absolutely wonderful. We are so very blessed.
The big party is Saturday. And big is an understatement. Since all of our family is from out of state it is quite an event when everyone comes to town. It will be so much fun to have most almost everyone together over the weekend. With so much family coming from out of town we had to rent a space to have the party to accommodate family as well as our Mississippi “family.” The party is set for Saturday at the Ag Museum. We actually have a 4 ½ foot barn in our garage!!!! Crazy, but so much fun. I think this has been more work to organize than our wedding. Looking forward to a great birthday. I promise to post lots of pics and share all the fun with all of you who aren’t here to celebrate. Just in time for the party Drew got tubes in his ears this week. He came through like a champ and is happier than ever. He is ready now for all the visitors and the party.
Looking forward to another great year! Happy 1st Birthday, Drew!!





No comments:
Post a Comment