The following is the devotional which Kevin and I wrote for the 2010 Galloway United Methodist Church Advent Devotional Book. Our devotional appears in the book for today, December 22nd, and we wanted to share it with our friends and family as well. May you all find time in your plans this holiday season to share in God's plan for your life. Merry Christmas!
“If You Ever Want to Make God Laugh Tell Him Your Plans.”
I have always been an organizer of everything in my life and many times even try to organize everything around me. As I reflect, my life has been centered on preparing for the next big event. It drove my parents crazy and now at times drives Kevin crazy. Nevertheless, I always have a plan. Kevin and I spent the first part of this year in glorious anticipation of the arrival of our first child. From the day we found out we were pregnant I had My Plan. I began making lists and planning out the next 9 months of our life. Although there were a few bumps along the way, things seemed to follow according to My Plan.
The last month of pregnancy arrived faster than I ever imagined. There were so many things left undone and My Plan was not complete. In the last few weeks, I planned to pack a bag, finish writing thank you notes for shower gifts, and of course chose a name for our son. And then God intervened and My Plan became His Plan. We were sent to the hospital three weeks early. The baby was going to arrive and I hadn’t checked everything off my list. God must have been laughing when he decided the biggest day in our lives would come without any consideration for My Plan.
As we prepare for the Advent season, I reflect and realize that Advent has always come very naturally for me. I was always comforted by the traditional lighting of the advent candles, children programs and most especially the Christmas Eve candlelight service. As I reflect, I liked the idea of a planned arrival. It made things always seem to fall into place at the right time and just in time to celebrate the birth of Christ.
This year I have learned a plan and preparation, although important, are only part of the enjoyment of life. As we anticipated the arrival of our child people kept telling me to enjoy the preparation, enjoy getting ready for the birth it is all part of God’s Plan. I did, but kept in mind My Plan. As I was being admitted to the hospital I experienced a peace that surpasses all understanding. I had a moment that I considered how Mary must have felt when God told her all would be ok.
By God’s plan, we were blessed with a beautiful baby boy who will continue to change my life’s plan in the most amazing ways possible. If more than anything, I have learned this year that having your own plan can make you miss out on the joys and wonders of God’s Plan.
This Advent season, may you and your family enjoy the preparation, but be truly prepared to enjoy God and his plans for you as he moves in your life.
Kevin & Mary Margaret Gay
Psalms 16: 5-6
You, Lord, are all I have, and you give me all I need; my future is in your hands.
How wonderful are your gifts to me; how good they are!


Thanks Mary Margaret, I so needed that reflection today.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!