Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Pistol Pete

In the summer of 1979 my dad was moved to First United Methodist Church Gurdon (Arkansas).  I was almost three and I don't remember the move.  My parents have told me they were nervous - the town was small and far away from friends and family.  Tucked away about 2 hours south of Little Rock and 3 hours to Dallas, Texas.  Gurdon was once a booming railroad town that was barely surviving on the timber industry.  Their football team was the Go-Devils for pete's (pun intended) sake.  The small hospital (and I mean SMALL) was not going to offer my mom much in the way of opportunities to continue her career.  But as any good Methodist preacher does - my parents went and went joyfully.

My memories of Gurdon are fond.  I remember starting kindergarten, having my first very best friend, lots of tennis, lots of community and lots of friends.  My sister Jane was born there.  The highlight of the move was that Pete and Sue Rudolph were there.  Nearly every memory I have is woven with the Rudolphs.  Many of you know Pete and Sue Rudolph as my grandparents - although they were not birth parents to either of my parents they are my grandparents.  There are a lot of caveats and twists and turns to the story, but that is all that matters.  My memories of Gurdon are beautiful.
Pete was a storyteller and a caretaker.  He listened to what people needed and found a way to make it happen.  Pete took me every where - he was once mayor of Gurdon and basically a local celebrity.  The "boys" as they were all affectionately known were all grown and almost all moved off to college.  I got to enjoy every minute of being his sidekick.  He loved me and took care of me and until the day he died a few weeks ago he told me I could do anything I wanted to do.  Anything.  When I announced in kindergarten I was going to Harvard to be a teacher he told me that was fine.  He taught me how to use an Apple computer in the 1980s which is probably why I am a lawyer who runs a technology focused practice.  He took me to the big city encouraged me to see the world.  Helped me get to Washington.  He taught me that Sonic ice is best and reading the newspaper is important!  Helping people was second nature to him - he helped everyone.  He fed me when I was hungry, clothed me when I was cold and gave me a place to stay at times in my life when I was scared.  He helped me learn that feet and exercise bikes are not a good combination and that feeling sorry for yourself doesn't get you anywhere.  For as long as I can remember he was my life coach and Sue was the cheerleader.

Over the years we have visited Pete as much as we could - I always wanted to be there more.  He and Sue made several trips to Jackson.  All of which included a check of the tires on my car and making sure I had things like a washer and dryer.  When Kevin and I began dating I took him to visit Pete and Sue who were now living in Northwest Arkansas.  I told Kevin several times "we are going to get there and he is going to want to show us around.  It will be fun, but YOU have to drive."  My sweet husband (for one of the only times in his life) didn't speak up when Pete offered to drive.  After about 20 minutes of near misses Sue from the backseat says "Kevin, you have to help him with the lights - he's color blind."  I can close my eyes and still see the look on Kevin's face.  Did I mention they took us on a  tour of wedding chapels of Northwest Arkansas - they liked Kevin!












I still miss him and find myself picking up the phone to call him when something exciting happens in life.  My heart is happy knowing he is with Sue.



No comments:

Post a Comment