Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thanksgiving In Georgia


We spent a wonderful week in South Georgia for Thanksgiving.  After ten years of making this trip I am still in awe of the scenery and serenity this place offers for our family.  In 2003, on a wing and prayer, I hopped in the truck with Kevin to visit his family for the holiday.  I decided to go at the last minute and friends were baffled when they called my cell phone and I told them where I was going.  Amanda Summerlin, who had been our friend since law school and I had just started working with, basically kicked me out of the office to go! (Thank Goodness!)  Susan Rozina's response was one I will never forget..."You're going where? With Kevin Gay?....I am so confused.  Can you please insist on stopping to go to the bathroom and call me and explain what the heck you are talking about."  Needless to say everyone was surprised, but truthfully not as surprised as Kevin and I were.  We spent the week unplugged from life and finding our place together in this world.  The rest is history.  We now consider our trip to South Georgia for Thanksgiving our one trip each year that gets us back to our roots as a couple and grounds our family.  I am so blessed to be part of Kevin's life and thankful God guided us to each other.  South Georgia is now one of the places I call home.  I so love watching our boys enjoy their time there with family and friends.  We look forward to many more years of "thanksgiving" in South Georgia.

Before we left for the week we enjoyed Thanksgiving lunch at Galloway with the boys - costumes and all!  So much fun!
Drew's Classroom - Doors were locked with signs saying "feeding turkeys in progress!"  Parents got to look through the window to watch them getting ready.  The kids gobbled back at us through the windows.  So cute!



Owen and Mrs. Kathy
We jumped in the truck after the Thanksgiving lunch at school and headed out of town.  In a last minute bid to make the trip easier we turned Owen's car seat around for the first time.  JACKPOT!  I think he was so scared if he made a noise we would turn him back around that he just sat in awe.  Between that and the Polar Express on DVD we rolled into Nana's driveway without a peep from either.  Drew did have a "moment" when we stopped for dinner at Cracker Barrel.  He was ready to be there and explained to Kevin "Dad we really don't need to be spending money to eat out.  It is expensive.  Let's just keep going."  Can't imagine where he has heard that!


Happy Birthday Nana! Lunch at George and Louie's

Owen LOVED Phoebe



Playing in Nana's cabinet just like brother used to
Owen and Mr. Donnie



Pure Happiness!


Baking Pumpkin Pie
Annual Turkey Frying!
Loving his first real Thanksgiving lunch...cranberry sauce is Yummy!


Christmas On the Square
Moultrie, Georgia







Drew Is Ecstatic...Owen, not so much.


 The ride home....

Best. Decision. Ever.
Santa's elves came and decorated our house for Christmas while we were gone!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment