Monday, July 2, 2012

A GREAT Father's Day!


Father’s Day this year fell on June 17th – Drew’s Birthday.  Although we had the party the day before it was fun to celebrate both occasions on the same day.   With baby boy #2 on the way it makes it even better.  I wanted to do something extra special for Kevin this year.  He had to be mom and dad for nearly two months and take care of a sick wife.  He battled through potty training, tonsil surgery and the worst case of morning (all day) sickness ever! 
The week before Father’s Day I emailed Kevin’s golfing buddy, Joel, to ask where would be the best place to get Kevin a gift certificate to put towards new golf clubs.  As any good friend would do, Joel replied with “I think he likes the new set he got last week.”  Funny!  He told me he actually knew the clubs Kevin wanted and sent me on my way to Edwin Watts.  First, in case you have never bought golf clubs they aren’t cheap and a female walking in the store the week before Father’s Day is like blood in the water for the sharks/salesmen.  Needless to say they were MORE than helpful.  Finally found the clubs he wanted in Florida and had them shipped to Jackson.  I picked them up Friday afternoon and was so excited to give them to Kevin.
Friday night Kevin and I went to dinner with Drew.  On the way I asked Kevin if he had picked up Drew’s birthday gift – his first baseball glove.  Kevin had gone at lunch Friday to pick it up at Dick’s Sporting Goods.  Kevin went on to tell me he was there with a whole bunch of wives picking of Father’s Day gifts.  One was buying a kayak paddle and the one behind him in line…well this is the story that proves God always finds ways to humble us.  I will tell you the story in Kevin’s words.  You will have to use your imagination for the tone and facial expressions…prepare yourself…its good.
So I take you to the car conversation…
Kevin:  I got the glove.  There was a lady getting a kayak paddle.  Then a lady walked up with a putter.  Not sure what possessed me to talk to her, but I asked her if she was taking up golf.  She said no, but that it was for her husband for father’s day.  I asked her if he picked it out and she said no.  I asked her if he told her what to get.  She said no.  I told her she really should get a gift receipt.
She seriously got her husband a golf club.  What (I can’t recall if he used Idiot or Moron here) would buy her husband golf clubs for Father’s Day??  Golf clubs are personal things.  You can’t just buy them for someone else.  You have to get the right weight, length, etc.
At this point I was a little flabbergasted and honestly felt sorry for him.  Being the good wife that I am I just smiled and told him I couldn’t imagine.  On the way home I couldn’t help myself though.  When he brought up golf again I asked him how much golf clubs cost.  Thinking I had gotten a good deal – and for the record these were the most expensive gift I have ever bought anyone! 

Kevin:  Golf clubs can get expensive.  I would NEVER buy new clubs.
MM: Really?  Never?
Kevin:  Heck no.  Waste of money. 
MM:  What about the one’s you have, how much were they?
Kevin:  I got them 10+ years ago and they were $199.  I bought another set a couple of years ago and ended up selling them to one of the guys we golf with for like $150.  I wouldn’t ever pay more than that.
(This is now no longer funny for me!  I got ripped off if $200 is what I should have paid!...God paid me back for helping Kevin dig the hole.)

But it doesn’t end there

On Saturday my dad was in town for Drew’s party and was watching the US Open with Kevin after the party.  I told Kevin he needed to share the Dick’s story with my dad.  He recounted the above, but this time with much more fervor.  I am sure the word moron was used this time! 
I was a little nervous Sunday morning, but figured I was ok since technically Joel had picked the clubs.  I had not gone in blindly.  When Kevin saw the box he was excited, but as he pulled the paper off his excitement dimmed.  He was trying to figure out how to continue to be excited while also digging out of the hole he had already dug.  Oh, one other bit of information that only adds to the story.  When the clubs were shipped from Florida to Jackson they came in a Taylor Made box.  The clubs were Ping.  So as the paper came off all Kevin could see was TAYLOR MADE emblazoned across the box.  NOT what he wanted.  He continued to fake a smile and fake excitement.  God bless him.  When he finally pulled the clubs out of the box and a sense of relief swept across his face.  I really think he had conceded to the fact that he was going to have to play with Taylor Made clubs that he hated for the next 10 years just to keep from telling me he hated them.  At this point, I think he likes his gift, but honestly I may never know.  He loves me too much to tell me he doesn’t.  Sure made for an exciting Father’s Day.
THE new clubs!
He and Drew took them out Sunday afternoon to the golf course and enjoyed a birthday/father’s day together. 




No comments:

Post a Comment