January has been a busy month. It started with family in town for the new year, we tackled the chicken pox (yes you can get them even after you get the vaccine) and we are wrapping up with the final stages of potty training. My baby is getting bigger everyday and becoming a little boy!
My family all came for the new year. We postponed Drew's tonsil surgery. Several days with my mom, sister Jane and their wild boys, including my brother-in-law Kevin. Drew had a wonderful time with Dalton and Tom Alan. He is big enough now to play with them and they have enough energy to keep up with Drew. Lots of ball playing in the yard and a trip to the Natural Science Museum. Gigi and Papa came the next week and poor Papa was worn out by the time he left. I stopped counting after about 10 games of hide-and-seek. Drew loves to be scared and my dad loved scarring him. Having 3 girls was not a good thing when it came to scarring kids...we were not enthused! Drew, however, is making up for it. He would laugh so hard when he was scared that he would fall on the floor.
Kevin has been able to sneak in some duck hunting here and there and I have taken a couple of work trips. Our four day MLK holiday weekend of rest was interrupted with a mild case of the chicken pox. As Drew told us "I stay home. I got the Pops." The chicken pox these days are nothing like they used to be. The vaccine helped to shorten the run and the symptoms were fairly mild. He had about 10 bumps on his back and neck and then several on one hand. He never complained and never ran fever. We were very lucky! Kinda like the strep infection in his sinus cavity last year it is one of those 1% chance things. I am hoping he continues the trend and his 1% carries over into his school studies and he is top of the class!
We took advantage of the rainy weather last weekend to spend some time at home and gave up diapers! (WOOOHOOOO....I feel like we get a raise this month!) Drew did great! He figured out real fast he would get a (sur)"prise" if he went on his own and by the end of the day he had two trains, a garbage truck, two bags of skittles, Cheetos and three stickers. I think he would stop and start just to get another "prise." By the time Kevin came home Sunday Drew was VERY proud of himself. I had to run to the grocery store and left Kevin and Drew with strict instructions to remember to potty. When I got home and asked Drew if he had gone to the potty he was very excited to tell me Daddy had let him "pee-pee in the flowers." Lovely! Lord, please help me.
2012 has already started off with a bang and we are looking forward to a great year.


No comments:
Post a Comment